Experience feedback from Alstom University Tube
In 2010, Alstom had 70,000 employees in 70 countries, coming from several cultures, needing to share their best practices. Video was increasingly used outside of work and in particular on social networks.
That's how Alstom imagined the Alstom University Tube platform, built around Streamlike: a video-based corporate social network that turned 70,000 employees into as many internal trainers!
The objectives were :
- To create a fun and interactive collaborative space to encourage employees to share their knowledge, experiences and expertise through short videos.
- To stimulate innovation by creating easily accessible knowledge-sharing spaces.
"AU-Tube has enabled us to boost our knowledge management program and improve collaboration. A kind of internal MOOC that gives access to home-made pedagogical content. "Walfa Chouki, Vice-President HR @ Alstom
Do's and don'ts
What needs to be done
- To have an internal "sponsor" who will be the project leader, with a large autonomy and free from all influences.
- Encourage adoption: involve employees from the start of the project, through collaborative workshops to define the purpose, understand the levers of adoption and the barriers, validate the ergonomics and interfaces.
- Experiment on a small scale, identify referents and mentors among employees
- Imagine ways to motivate contributors: video contests, recognition methods, etc.
What to avoid
- Pre-publication moderation, which frustrates contributors. Since one must be authenticated to contribute, publications are not anonymous and the risk of inappropriate content is almost nil.
- Internal decisional interference through multiple piloting.
Use cases, common needs
As we explained in a previous article, a collaborative video platform is first and foremost a corporate social network. As such, it is an internal communication tool, in "peer-to-peer" mode.
If it is assigned the mission of recording and sharing the company's knowledge, this platform becomes a training tool. On occasion, it will allow the identification of internal talents.
Here is an example of "StreamTube" showing the basic functionalities of a collaborative platform.